Introducing IoTeX Mainnet v1.3, the next evolution of the IoTeX blockchain! Mainnet v1.3 is now LIVE as of block height 12,289,321 — thanks to our global network of Delegates that have upgraded their nodes to the best version of iotex-core yet.
This major network upgrade brings the latest EVM Istanbul to IoTeX and supports all Web3 DApps with minimized gas costs for storage + zk-SNARKs computations. Mainnet v1.3 complements the full Web3-compatibility introduced via Mainnet v1.2 in June 2021. Together, IoTeX is now one of the most robust, flexible, and user/dev-friendly blockchains in the industry.
In the rest of this blog, we share the game-changing features of Mainnet v1.3, and how this will impact IoTeX users and developers.
EVM Istanbul Upgrade
With Mainnet v1.3, the IoTeX blockchain now supports the latest version of Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM). This Istanbul upgrade delivers meaningful benefits for both developers and users, such as denial-of-service (DDoS) attack resilience, reduced gas costs for EVM storage, and cost-effective zk-SNARKs/zk-STARKs computations. Here is the full list of EIPs included in the Istanbul upgrade that are now live on IoTeX:
- EIP-152 — precompiled Blake2b to enable zkSNARKs & zkSTARKs
- EIP-1108 — better bn256 library for fast computation, low gas costs
- EIP-1344 — adds CHAINID opcode to return current chain’s EIP-155 unique identifier inside smart contract
- EIP-1884 — repricing for trie-size -dependent opcodes
- EIP-2028 — transaction data gas cost reduction
- EIP-2200 — cost reduction of storage in the EVM
Get ready for never-before-seen Dapps and services on IoTeX thanks to EVM Istanbul. Learn more about EVM on IoTeX here.
Other Mainnet v1.3 Features
In addition to the EVM Istanbul upgrade, Mainnet v1.3 delivers several other features and patches as part of the most complete IoTeX blockchain yet:
- Optimized block sync strategy to make our blockchain more robust
- Patch that makes API queries much faster, especially to return the latest committed block
- Patch to ensure network connectivity is not lost if a node goes down; nodes can now detect any network loss/reconnect events and automatically resume working after network connectivity is restored
For the full details on Mainnet v1.3 and a summary of gas cost updates, see our release note on Github.
Calling All Developers!
⚡️ Ready to build on IoTeX? Join our Dev Discord to meet our developer community, brainstorm ideas, and get your questions answered!
🌎 Want to be our Dev Ambassador? Help us manage/grow our developer community — message
Simone_IoTeX on Discord for more details.
Founded as an open-source platform in 2017, IoTeX is building the Internet of Trusted Things, an open ecosystem where all “things” — humans, machines, businesses, and DApps — can interact with trust and privacy. Backed by a global team of 30+ top research scientists and engineers, IoTeX combines blockchain, secure hardware, and confidential computing to enable next-gen IoT devices, networks, and economies. IoTeX will empower the future decentralized economy by “connecting the physical world, block by block”.